- Focus on Scout culture.
- You can't out-Disney Disney. Scouting
programs will be successful when they focus on those things which
differentiate them from all the other options out there.
- Focus on quality not quantity.
- Service Scouters should focus on
helping troops to stay great and to become great, rathern than on
keeping weak troops open. Small troops should be merged to create large
troops with ample resources. In most cases, move Scouts to Venturers
after three years rather than four.
- Rethink training.
- Mentoring should be used as the primary
training method. Training courses should be focused around learning how
to use the Scout Method. Scouters need to learn how to create Scout
culture more than specific skills.
- More events including summer events.
- Scout troops should run a
camp or day event every month of the year. There should be at least six
camps including a summer camp.
- Give Scouts more autonomy.
- Scouts should be responsible for their
own food at camps. There should be opportunities for Scouts to be on
their own without Scouters. Patrol Leaders should be used to their full
potential. The Court of Honour should be well used, particularly for
- Use the uniform.
- Make the uniform a full part of the Scout
experience, rather than something that is pulled on only for ceremonies.
- Use Scout badges.
- Make badge earning an important part of Scout
programs. Scouts should earn some badges with the troop and have the
opportunity and support to earn badges on their own as well.